You’re engaged! Congratulations!
This is such an exciting time in your life. You might be thinking, what now? How do I plan my wedding? Where should I start? What date should you choose? It can be so overwhelming.
Well, this post is for you, I’m going to leave you with a few tips for you and your new fiancé!
I was where you are not too long ago. And I remember how extremely excited I was. Truth be told though, the morning my husband proposed to me I was being kind of a brat. All I wanted to do was eat breakfast. When I get hungry, I get angry. We were driving along the northern California coast (which is beautiful by the way!) on Highway 1 going around every turn seeing the waves crashing on the rocks. He kept telling me he wanted to take me to some “restaurant” he had been to. Since we kept passing scenic stops I got even angrier we weren’t stopping to take pictures. Geez, thinking back on it, I wish I could have slapped myself. Anyways, he finally gave up on finding this “restaurant” and stopped to pull over and take a picture. It was just us two. As we stood in the foggy mist I started to get cold and wanted to get back in the car. But an old couple pulled over to take pictures as well. And on cue (I always do this), I asked if they could take a picture of Phil and I, that’s when he popped the question and they got all of it on camera! I was elated with joy, and no longer angry about how hungry I was. Funny enough, on our way back to Monterey, we stopped at a coast side restaurant and the couple that took our picture sat right next to us and bought us a bottle of champagne and now, we drink that same champagne on all our anniversaries!
I tell you all of this because as soon as we got in the car, I was asking myself and him all those same questions from the beginning and actually chose our wedding date that day! While I wouldn’t change it for anything, I wouldn’t recommend it.
1. Enjoy the moment, and the days and weeks following your engagement. At this point, your love grows a ton, you’re learning even more about one another and what you look forward to the rest of your life.
2. Share the news with those closest to you first not your online following. Mom and Dad, grandparents and best friends, don’t want to find out on social media. Call them or visit them so they can celebrate with you. It will mean the world to them.
3. Stay flexible. Choose the time of the year, and maybe even the month you’d like to get married. Unless you’re dead set on some significant date, be flexible. Why? Your vendors. Decide what is most important to you (photography, flowers, venue, food, band, etc) and check which dates those vendors are available.
*More advice: At the end of the day, the memories you have on your wedding day will be your new spouse and the photos that have documented it. You probably won’t remember the food you have, all the music that was played, or which flowers you have—although those are important—investing in a talented and relatable photographer are incredibly important, in my opinion that is. So if you find a vendor that you’d really like to have find out their availability before you decide to set a date in stone.
4. Set your budget. You don’t want to start your wonderful marriage in a ton of debt from one day. I know you’d love to have every single person you know to celebrate your love, but be realistic and understand that approximately 30-40% of those you invite won’t attend the wedding. Say you invite 100, expect 60-70 to show. Knowing this will also help when solidifying the venue and catering.
5. Don’t let the wedding take over. Again, take a breath and enjoy your engagement. Think about hiring a coordinator to run down all the logistics for you. Planning is stressful. I did not hire a coordinator and I procrastinated. I don’t recommend that. Take your time, plan it together, and take time to enjoy each other.
So how did you proposal happen? Want more advice? Leave comments below! I love to hear love stories and I love helping people learn from my mistakes!
Happy engagement! I’m so excited for you!
Follow my on Instagram: @monique.cara
Like my page on Facebook!
Join me and some awesome people on our journey this year with 52 Selfies with Monique
Read more fun content on my blog!
As always, thank you for investing your time with me. Here is a token of my appreciation!